August 7, 2009

Roller Ride, Take 2 (8/6)

It’s been two weeks since my aborted first attempt to ride on the rollers. I considered riding on the hybrid rather than the Bianchi, but decide it will improve my handling skills more if I practice on the bike I ride the most. The bruise from my fall has almost faded into nothing, but I have a nice knot still where my leg met the roller frame.

I set the rollers up again in a doorway so that I can catch myself with my elbow or with my shoulder if (okay, when) I overbalance. My shoulders are already killing me from when I used a gas-powered weedwhacker earlier in the day, so this will be a short ride regardless. I get going with minimal difficulties (ie, letting go of the door frame), and as before, I find it much easier if I concentrate on a point ahead of me (in this case the stove) rather than down at the front wheel. I am also much stabler the faster I pedal, but I still stick around 13mph until I force myself to go faster.

After about 15 minutes of no falls, only a couple of overbalancing incidents that didn’t require me to stop and restart, and keeping both wheels on the frame, I call it a good session and end on a successful note.

No comments:

Post a Comment