August 29, 2009

Ride Report 8/28

about 25 mile spin ride

Today is a ride just to put miles on my legs. I push moderately hard and go about 15-16mph. I head south on the Sacramento River trail and see something stuck on my front tire as I exit the path onto Riverside. I keep concentrating on my front tire, and when I look up, I am about 5 feet from a huge brush pile. I don't even have time to react before the Trek hits the pile. I do a complete flip over the handlebars and land on my back in a pile of cherry branches and leaves. Naturally, a jogger comes right along, so I can't pretend no one saw my fall. If only I had caught the whole thing on video, I might make my fortune...

Amazingly, my only casualties appear to be a sore neck and right hand and a few assorted scratches, so I continue on my ride. I do have the urge to sit on the curb and just give up, but it passes quickly.

Today I rode without my gloves because I'm not convinced the fingers aren't cutting off the circulation when I ride with my hands on the shifters. The bad news is riding without the gloves does seem to improve the numbness in my fingers, but the vibrations in the handlebars from the road seem to make the gloves a better prospect than riding barehanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment