August 16, 2009

Ride Report 8/16

partnered 59.2 miles in 4:09 (not counting breaks) on the Trek

Today, our goal is to reach Beale's Point, the easternmost end of the Jedediah Smith Memorial (aka American River) Bike Path. I don't know how far that is because I only bike the southern branch of the trail, which does not require me to climb the Hazel Ave hill. On the way east from the Guy West Bridge, I work on drafting. The plan is for me to try to catch any cyclists who pass us and draft off them, but T starts me at a stiff pace of 18mph and works us up to 20mph and no one passes us. At the same time, I concentrate on keeping my cadence between 80-100RPM.

Although I feel more comfortable hanging off of T's rear wheel, I still barely stay close enough to benefit from drafting. The Trek feels squirrelly, and I'm all over the path behind him to avoid overrunning his back tire. So, I mainly play a yo-yo game of getting just the right distance (about close enough to just want to scream and hit the brakes), backing off, falling behind and pedaling to catch up. I don't have any reserves this morning and I just can't keep up after several miles.

We break at the Folsom Dam fish hatchery and I have my breakdown for the day. I can't keep up the pace, I'm never going to be any good, I'll never be able to go 20+mph, ad nauseum. These moods come upon me when I have no reserves left and get faced with frustration. I know it's not possible to be a professional cyclist in six or seven weeks, but the overachiever in me is disappointed that I'm not able to keep up with someone who has been racing/cycling for 30 years. I also know that these moods will pass, but in the meantime, I have to put up with the negative comments from the jury inside my head (is that a Rush lyric?).

We continue on to Beale's Point, although I feel ready to go home and give up road biking forever. The ride up Hazel is tough, but not a killer thanks to the triple chainring on the Trek. The important part of climbing hills is to try to keep your cadence up rather than your speed. Still, I wouldn't mind a nap at the top of the hill. We have done most of this ride before, but we didn't make it to the last few miles of hills. And more hills. And then more hills. I ask how far it is to Beale's Point and am told "not very far" (read: about five miles). Some time later I ask how much further. "Just a hop, skip and a jump" (read: at least 1-2 miles). Luckily, the hills have drained any energy I might have for homicidal activities.

At Beale's Point, I collapse on a bench and eat the second half of my first Odwalla bar. A few pieces go to a moth eaten-looking ground squirrel who loiters hopefully nearby. The soda machine is sold out, so after a shortish break we hit the surface streets to go to a convenience store. With a downhill start, I shift into the large chainring (the "big boy" gears) and suddenly I'm pedaling 22mph, then I hit 26mph. It only lasts half a mile at most, but it is exhilarating, especially after being convinced I would never be able to reach those speeds (other than on downhills) only an hour earlier. A Diet Dr Pepper is not the ideal mid-ride drink, but it is cold and caffeinated.

The trail crosses the surface streets right across from the convenience store, so we head back and do mostly downhill, but of course some uphill riding. At times, I am only inching forward at 8mph, but my cadence generally stays above 70RPM. I manage another stretch of 20+mph speeds, but the hill up to Hazel Ave defeats me and I have to dismount and walk up most of it. Past the fish hatchery, I practice drafting off and on, again mainly falling behind a little then catching up, and repeat. I am hot and tired and I start locking my elbows instead of keeping a bend in them. My seat chafes. My feet and elbows hurt. I slog along at about 15-16mph. Back on the surface streets, my left foot starts to ache just below my big toe. It becomes so painful, I am pedaling almost exclusively with my right foot for the last mile. On the other hand, I lowered the tilt on my saddle and moved it forward a bit on the rails, and my lower back has not made a peep the whole ride.

I limp home to potty dogs, eat half an apple and crawl into bed for a short rest before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment