August 22, 2009

Ride Report 8/20

27 mile spin ride on the Trek

It's my day off, so I get to ride in the evening for a change of pace. I remember to take my pepper spray, and have to remind myself that being shouted at by three juveniles is not a pepper sprayable offense.

I take the bike path north along Steelhead Creek, which is so low in some spots that it resembles a slough more than a creek. Still, the view is much nicer than gang graffiti along the north bike path. I still pass "VNS" graffiti along Steelhead Creek and wonder if I need a job that enables me to know that stands for "Varrio Northside."

At the levee road gate, I am disappointed to find out I have only gone 12 miles so far, but the sun is going down, so I turn back south. Out of nowhere, I'm passed by a man on a no-name mountain bike, but this is an easy ride, so my tiny ego and I let him fly by.

I raised my seat a small amount to try to alleviate the numbness that creeps into my hands unless I change position every few minutes. Unfortunately, it's enough of a height difference to throw me off when I try to hit the crosswalk button on Garden Hwy and I overbalance and fall into the weeds. I suppose I should be thankful that I only seem to fall over when I'm at or coming to a stop, but it would be nice not to have an audience for each fall I take.

Just past Old Sacramento, I pass a group of about 15 cyclists, including several Sacramento Golden Wheelmen. My internal debate lasts too long, and by the time I turn around to talk to them, they've dispersed. I follow three cyclists for a few blocks, then lose them when my light turns red. Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment