August 19, 2009

Ride Report 8/17

0.7 miles on the UCD Aggies cruiser

I had planned on sleeping in ridiculously late today to make up for lack of sleep on the weekend, but I get a call at 10am from my friend Suzette who is anxious to come pick up a loaner bike from me. She has signed up for classes at Sacramento City College for fall semester and wants to bike to/from class. She is so excited, she tells me she even rented a bike locker.

When she comes over, I go over the Performance hybrid with her. I warn her that I think the frame will be too big for her. I lower the saddle, move it as far forward as it will go on the rails, and tilt the handlebars back a bit. We go over shifting/gears (she last rode a single speed bike) and pedaling. I give her my scorned helmet and attach a seat wedge with tire repair tools.

During our test ride, I try to gauge the bike fit as best I can from what I have learned from T and from reading about cycling. Suzette says she is comfortable and I have her practice shifting a few times. I have fun pedaling the big clunky cruiser around, but stopping is a pain with coaster brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment