August 9, 2009

Ride Report 8/9

Partnered 40 miles in 2:39 on the Trek

It involved a 6.5-hour road trip, but I have bicycle that is sized for me! The Trek Pilot 1.2 was only ridden 25 miles before the owner decided she did not like it and would stick to her mountain bike. We left the SPD pedals with her to sell with her cycling shoes (but had to go to the local bike shop for a wrench with enough leverage to get the pedals off). Unfortunately, the frame is too fat to rig a second bottle cage with the hose clamps I used on the Bianchi, but I strap the mini pump to the frame with a tiny bungee cord and plan yet another run to the bike store. I managed to find a cycling computer on clearance that measures cadence, and I stayed up far too late to get it mounted on the Trek.

Today is a fairly easy ride since we're both tired from the road trip. I practice drafting on the way east on the bike trail. The Trek feels hyper responsive compared to the Bianchi and it will take a few more rides for me to feel completely comfortable on it. I notice the difference between the bikes most on cornering. The Bianchi could handle fairly tight turns (which I'm not supposed to do), but the Trek feels like it is about to take a tumble when I try to take a corner tightly. At any rate, I do so-so in drafting and poke along at about 18 mph.

On the way back, I attempt drafting for a short time, but mainly just yak and spin along at 16-17mph. It's an off day for both T and I, so we take it easy. I don't think I will stop at the Watt Ave bridge again to refill water bottles, though. The odors from the bridge and the bathroom make for a hostile environment.

I feel disloyal to the Bianchi, but I can't help comparing it negatively to just about everything about the Trek. My elbows still ache, but only time will tell if that is something I have to build up over time or if it is left over from riding a bike that was too long for me.

On the way home, I practice riding while sitting up and with my hands off the handlebars. When I tried this on Thursday on the Bianchi, I could sit up with a couple of fingers on the handlebars to stabilize it, but the second I lifted my hand, the steering went crazy and I had to grab the handlebars. Today, on my first attempt I can sit up. My second attempt I can pedal along with my arms out at my sides. Then I pedal with my arms straight up, practicing my victorious race finish pose. T tells me I will have to work on my 30mph sprinting first. Party pooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment