August 22, 2009

Ride Report 8/22

22 mile easy ride

Today I'm going for a ride with S. I make my way through south Sacramento against a headwind. I don't have a bike lane for most of the ride, but even when I do, it seems to cause the cars in the lane next to me to drift to within inches of me. Go figure. I survive biking south on 24th St and deliver some mountain biking shorts to S.

She has been biking a total of 8-10 miles a day and has fallen head over heels for the hybrid. She even licensed it the day she picked it up. I am thrilled for her, but now I know how T feels when he rides with me. S & I toddle along at 8-9mph. My heart rate falls to the 90s, then the 80s. Now I know how T feels when he has to ride 18mph with me. But it's still miles on the bike and S's enthusiasm about the hybrid is not mine to quash. I'm impressed when we finish our loop of a little over 8 miles.

When it's time for me to head back, I go faster than I'm supposed to on a long slow ride, but it feels good to be traveling in double digit mph again. I take S Land Park north and for a short while have a pretty nice tailwind. I shift into the big boy gears, but only make 20.8mph and shift back to the middle chainring when the road turns and I have a crosswind again. At the messy intersection of Land Park and Sutterville, a car tries its best to sideswipe me, but I squeeze through and make it home alive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment