August 7, 2009

Ride Report 8/5

28 miles in 2:17 on the Bianchi

This is my fourth ride wearing gloves, and (as with most things in this life) they have their advantages and their disadvantages. The main disadvantage is lack of feel for the road. I had not realized how much information was coming to me through the bike, and I lose feedback by wearing gel-padded gloves. The gloves are fingerless, and when I ride with my hands on the shifters, the fingerholes restrict circulation in my first and second fingers. This could be due more to the fact that the Bianchi is too long for me, so I am almost completely stretched out when I ride on the shifters (to have access to the brakes). Riding in the drops bends me in half, but I don’t have to stretch as far forward.

This is my third ride with the wedges on my shoes. I started with two per side, but added a third wedge to the left side, which seemed to still be getting sore from pedaling. “Le wedge,” as I’ve come to call them, was developed by Greg Lemond to redistribute a cyclist’s weight while pedaling and to alleviate ankle and knee strains.

Today I ride the north trail to Elverta again. I’m half hoping to run into Bernie again, but I know that is not likely. I know how far north I’ve gone on the trail by the changing gang graffiti as by the arches erected over the trail announcing each new neighborhood. (Noralto? Robla? I’ve never heard of them.) The NorteƱos prevail in Del Paso Heights. I know I’m close to the halfway point when I pass Juggalo graffiti in Rio Linda.

The trail occupants seem seedier, more hostile today. Instead of families spread out across the path, I go through/past groups of juvenile boys who barely acknowledge me let alone make room for me to pass. I meet only one or two other cyclists, both going south, and a handful of other bike riders. I am only putting out about 80% effort, but I’m going 16-17mph, so I know I’ve got a tailwind behind me.

At the northern most gazebo, I stop to eat a melted protein bar (must remember to stock up on Odwalla bars). Someone smashed a beer bottle on the cement, and I crack and pop my way to the drinking fountain and back.

I try to concentrate on my form today, reminding myself over and over to keep a bend in my elbow, to keep my back straight, to flex my ankles when I pedal. The size problem in the Bianchi is becoming more apparent the longer I ride it, and it is time for me to get a bicycle sized for me. My right knee is twingy for the first mile and a half on the way back. I have no idea if it’s a knee problem or if I need to do more experimenting with wedges. I recall the osteoarthritic (minimal) changes to both knees noted in my x-rays and decide I probably need to be taking glucosamine supplements.

The headwind on the way back slows me a bit, but this is supposed to be an easy ride. When I get home, I find out another experiment has succeeded: my foster dog did not eat the kitchen while I was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment