September 5, 2009

Ride Report 9/2

43 miles total, about 35 mile group ride with Sacramento Wheelmen ARBT to Amore & back

Ah, what a nice change! Joe, the Wednesday morning ride leader, is back from vacation and he truly does ride at 15-16mph. There are only four of us at the ride start, but we pick up two more along the way. For a miracle, I'm not the slowest rider in the group, either. The six of us take the ARBT east to Gold River and a small coffee shop called Amore. The owner is a hoot and tells us "This is no Starbucks; this is a classy place!" when we try to bus our tables after eating. Joe offers to buy "the new rider" a drink, so I don't refuse a Mocha Glacier. I learned my lesson about eating food on a warm day, so I stick to my Odwalla bar and the Glacier drink gives me a massive brain freeze when I start to gulp it down.

On the way back, one of the riders starts to bonk from not eating and drinking two cups of coffee and has to stop to eat something. Joe drops back to check on her and they meet up with us where we are waiting at the Howe Ave underpass. On the way out, one of the other riders and I speculated on why some bridges smell like urine and others don't and why you would choose to pee under a bridge rather than in the grass or behind a tree.

I leave the group at the Guy West bridge to shorten my trip home, and as usual get lost in Sac State trying to find my way to J St. I actually end up right behind Joe and another rider who have a similar ride home and we chat the whole way up M St to when I actually split from the group and go south on 34th St to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment