September 23, 2009

Ride Report 9/19

28.8 miles Avenue of the Giants, Visitors Center to Phillipsville & back

This is my sole vacation trip, so I have to take my bike with me!

I remember the Avenue of the Giants being a twisty little road with redwoods encroaching on every turn. However, the southern stretch at least is at least partly a small highway, the main route for the tiny towns along the Avenue that count on tourists for their very survival (or so it seems). The views are astounding, the temperature is chilly, and the traffic is almost nonexistent. It is amazing to consider that most of the redwoods today are descendants of clearcutting and are at most 80-100 years old.

In spite of my hopes for a flat road, there are a few pretty good hills along the way. At Phillipsville, we stop at the general store to drink sodas and watch the locals. Based on the ten minutes I see of Phillipsville, the locals are very...eccentric, although I do envy their living in the middle of the redwoods.

On the way back, I'm surprised by how chilly I get. Thank heaven for arm warmers. I had intended to bike the entire length of the Avenue, but I decide to spend some time among the trees on foot instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment