September 14, 2009

Ride Report 9/13

36 miles Folsom-Auburn-Folsom partnered

Today more hills. And one really big hill.

Back to Folsom to bike Folsom-Auburn Rd from Folsom to Auburn and back. The consensus is that I can do Foxy's Fall Century, but it will be very hard, and in the meantime I need to pile on base miles and hills.

The hills start out rather gentle and rolling. Then long, gentle and never ending. My heart rate goes from 145-174, but nowhere too frightening. At the top of the neverending long hill, I stop in the shade to eat and give my back a bit of a rest. The next hill is the big one.

The pitch starts out manageable, but soon turns steep. And it keeps going and going. I'm in my tiny gears but still moving at 6-7mph. My heart rate is only 180, but I soon start fighting against hyperventilating. I keep pedaling. I can't fill my lungs, but I know I can't hyperventilate and I try to keep my breathing deep and steady. But I can't fill my lungs and I just have to stop or I'm going to panic. Once I'm not pedaling, my body gives in to gasping for air. I'm still trying not to panic. T comes back quickly and makes sure I'm not dying. I just feel like I am.

Since we're still on the steepest part of the hill, once I'm ready to move again, I circle downhill for a short distance to build up my speed and then turn around to go back uphill. My knees start yelling in protest immediately. The pitch improves, but still the hill goes on and on. The only consolation I can cling to is the long long coast on the way back down. Well, that and a very delicious meal at the cafe at the top of the hill.

So, another feather in my cap. The way back to Folsom is spoiled by a few uphills about which my legs let me know they are not pleased. We head back to the Folsom Cyclebration and watch a men's 45/55 1,2,3 Two Bridges criterium. The finish is nicely dramatic and requires a photo finish consult. We call it a day and go home. I am starving for the rest of the evening and eat an impressive amount of food to make up for the calories burned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment