September 23, 2009

Ride Report 9/17

Solo 46.4 miles Twin Cities Bridge loop in about 3:14

While researching river routes, I was surprised to discover how few routes there are across the Sacramento River. The next bridge after the Freeport Bridge is about 13 miles away, but I figured it would be worth it to give it a try.

South of Pocket Rd, Freeport becomes Hwy 160. There is little to no shoulder, but the traffic was incredibly light, so I had no worries there. I rode well away from the shoulder to be more visible and to try to minimize my flat tire risk. Most drivers gave me as much room as they could when they passed. A few only gave me as much room as they had to. A very special few got completely flummoxed by having to follow a bike and trailed behind me far longer than they needed to and passed me going 20mph.

The ride is very nice for scenery and for large houses to drool and dream over. The Twin Cities Bridge was even more heart-in-your-throat scary than the Freeport Bridge. Unfortunately, my phone's MP3 player crapped out about halfway through the ride. Not a big deal, but I already have a hard time motivating myself on long solo rides, and I keep finding myself pootling along at 13-14mph if I don't pay attention.

On the way back, I cut the ride a little short by crossing back over the Freeport Bridge and head back home straight up Freeport. Nice ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment