September 14, 2009

Ride Report 9/11

18.2 miles Nimbus Hatchery to Beals Point (yay, I finally found out how to spell it!) & back

Today I repeat the loop we rode on Sunday. My shoulders are still stiff, but not sore. Parking is no problem, even on a Friday, and it is nice to see so many people making use of the bike trail. The climbs start immediately on leaving the Hatchery, and my back starts complaining. I have a hard time of it on the way up and realize I would probably benefit from a few miles' warmup before tackling hills. My heartrate hits 188 on the last steep climb to Beals Point and I reach the benches feeling like puking or crying, but do neither. I have Beals Point completely to myself, so I sit and watch dried up Folsom Lake for several minutes before I feel ready to tackle the ride back.

As usual, the miles-long coast on the way down is fun, exhilarating, and a little scary around those corners. I reach the dam before I'm ready and brace myself for the climb back to Hazel Ave. It's just as steep as I recalled, but shorter. I still have to stop to gulp air at the top, but I made it! Now, if only my legs are strong enough for the drive home...

No comments:

Post a Comment