July 20, 2009

Ride Report 7/20

32.5 miles in ?:?? on the Bianchi

Luckily, I remembered to check the tires before I left the house, because the rear tire on the Bianchi is flat. I get it changed in only 20 minutes, but I am down to one spare tube now.

I head south on Land Park to add some miles to my Freeport to Freeport Bridge to levy road and West Sacramento route. After meandering my way on Windridge to Pocket Road, I finally catch Freeport Blvd south to the bridge across the Sacramento River. My pace on the city streets is 16 mph. As always, I cross the bridge by holding my breath, not looking down and holding onto the bike for dear life. The Freeport Bridge is open mesh grate that provides a spectacular view of the river twenty feet below you.

The pavement on the levy road is rougher than I'd remembered, but I last rode it on the hybrid, which is quite cushy compared to the Bianchi (front shocks, seat shock, lower psi tires). The ride is skull rattling at times, so I ride far from the shoulder where the roughest spots are. Due to the cross/headwind, my speed is only about 14-15 mph on most of the levy road. For one glorious mile or more on River Road, I maintain a pace of 19 mph.

When I get back on the levy road, I see something stuck on the front tire, but I know if it's a thorn I don't want to pull it out. Around mile 24, my feet can't take anymore and I have to stop to dismount for a short break. I check the pressure on the front tire and my heart falls when the tire is squishy. T put a liner in the front tire, and I don't want to try to wrestle it all back together on the road. I call a friend for a ride, but her truck is out of commission and T doesn't have a vehicle today that can fit the Bianchi, so I fix the flat on the side of the road. I take out the liner and replace the tube. The one good thing about the whole experience is that my first time using a CO2 pump works like a charm. It inflates the tube in seconds! Unfortunately, the cartridges are one-time use only. After I gather together my tools and repack the seat wedge, I notice a truck pulled over on the side of the road about ten yards ahead of me. The driver is sitting in the truck, watching me in his side mirror. I have no idea if he was just making sure I got finished safely or if he had ulterior motives, but as I pass his truck, I really wish I had my pepper spray on me.

I continue my ride with no further excitement, although I compulsively check both tires every time I have to stop at a light. My clipping in/out has been less than impressive today and I had to look down about half the time to find out why my cleat wouldn't click into the pedal. About a mile from home, I see an old animal rescue friend of mine on the sidewalk and I stop to catch up with her for about 20 minutes.

I stagger home hours late and with just enough time to potty the dogs, eat lunch and get ready for work. I need to leave early to pick up more spare tubes and a CO2 cartridge at the bike store...

No comments:

Post a Comment