July 16, 2009

Ride Report 7/16

26.28 miles in 2:05 (including a break to massage my screaming feet) on the Bianchi

The Canari biking shorts are too loose and the waistband is useless for clipping on the Rio Karma. Not trusting that any of my clean tank tops are long enough, I decide to be merciful on the general public and wear a long t-shirt. (On the plus side, the gel liner will prove to be the most comfortable one so far.) This is my first ride wearing the Forte shoes, and I immediately discover the huge disadvantage to road biking shoes: not only are they almost impossible to walk in, they are almost impossible to pedal with unless I am clipped in. The shoes are so slick that when I try to ride on the flat (non-clip) side of the pedal, they slide off. I have no choice but to clip in for the 4-mile stop light/sign-laden trip through downtown. Between fighting with the clips and worrying about the low rider shorts, I don't get to pay attention to my form until I hit the bike path off the Sacramento Marina.

I'm still skittish about taking turns/corners on the Bianchi, even though I replaced the tube and the tire is rock hard. T has threatened to put me on a bike roller to work on my balance, because I handle the Bianchi like a drunken monkey (my words, not his). So I practice making a U-turn without unclipping (successfully!). Something is rattling on the bike, but both bottle cages are tight. Turns out to be the mini pump loose in one of the zip ties.

My feet start to scream on the way north toward Old Sac & Discovery Park. A brief stop for foot relief, then the shoes go back on, but looser this time. I'm on the American River bike path now, so time for some good work. Third Eye Blind and then Billy Joel's "While the Night is Still Young" provide perfect pace music and I maintain an average of 16+mph for 8 miles. Heart rate is consistently 160bpm when I'm "in the zone" and pedal RPM is optimal.

On the Guy West bridge, I unclip to restore circulation to my toes, but my right foot will not unclip. At Discovery Park, I found that the right clip had lost a bolt, but had locked into a groove on the shoe and was still usable. Now I was stuck with my right foot on the pedal until I got home. Only a minor inconvenience to have to balance on my left side, but I start to wonder how I'm going to get off the Bianchi when I get home. Dismounting proves to be as awkward as I feared. I lean against the fence so I can unbuckle my shoe, but I still can't get it off the pedal. The Bianchi is still holding my right shoe hostage.

No comments:

Post a Comment