October 19, 2009

Ride Report 10/7

Would have been about 43mi total, group ride to Amore in Gold River & back

I'm over my cold, and breathing fairly normally except for a dry cough that has stuck around. Today we have four or five in the group ride and head out to Gold River. On the way back, I just don't feel quite right and drop back to shed a layer of clothing and to eat a Powerbar. As I poke my way home, the ride leader has come back to find me and joins me the rest of the way to the Guy West Bridge, where I split off to go home.

At 39th & M Sts, I check the intersection and see oncoming cars, but neither is at their stop sign yet, so I proceed through the intersection. About halfway through, I realize the southbound car is not even slowing down and is going to hit me. I don't remember leaving the bike or landing on the ground, but I remember the hood sliding underneath me and then standing up from the ground. Of course, my first thought is what damage has been done to the bike (very little, it turns out). The northbound driver is a godsend and takes over the scene, ordering the driver who hit me to write down his information and then loading me and my bike in her SUV to give me a ride home. Amazingly, all I have wrong is 2 bruised knees and stiff/sore shoulders and neck. The Trek needs both wheels trued, the rear derailleur hanger straightened and the headset tightened. Oh, yes, and my doctor reminds me on Thursday to replace my helmet just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment