October 19, 2009

The Big Day!! 10/10

65mi (100k) fun ride in 5:20, Condor Classic in San Juan Bautista

We get to the ranch at a few minutes after 7am. It's a gray day with high fog and there is a 300 yard walk through the churned up dirt parking lot and up a steep hill to the starting line. I get my bracelet (blue), map, number (291), and have my bike inspected. Then it's time to head out.

We go through tiny San Juan Bautista and catch a quick view of the church from The first rest stop is only a few miles out, so we skip it. The pattern continues relentlessly throughout the day: rest stop then hills. The first hills are much more brutal than the ride description led us to expect. I put the Trek in the smallest chainring and twiddle away in the granny gears as best I can, but hills have never been my friends or even nodding acquaintances. It doesn't help that I get a puncture flat on one of the first climbs.

The first part of the ride is along one side of the valley. Nice views. The downhills don't quite make up for the climbs since they are curvy and can't be taken at speed. The rest stops are frequent, about every 11-12 miles, and stocked with local produce (Fuji apples, raisins, carrots, walnuts) and pretzels. I haven't found a sports drink I like yet, but I water down some Gatorade with a ton of water. Wrestling myself out of and back into my bib shorts is a discouraging experience, and after the second time (only for wardrobe adjustments), I vow not to even attempt it for the rest of the ride.

By 11am, the fog is lifting and the sun is peeking out. The temperature climbs quickly and I no longer freeze as soon as we stop. The middle portion of the ride circles us around some of the back farm roads, long, flat and boring. Then more hills on the other side of the valley. By now, I haven't been eating enough or had enough electrolytes or something. I'm getting cranky and want the ride to be over. One amazing downhill almost picks up my mood. I hit 43.7mph before I start to panic and start milking the brakes.

Then it's more unending flat farm roads with semis that give no leeway and a 25-30mph head/crosswind for the last 12 miles. My speed creeps down from 15 to 10mph. I'm going so slow and I'm so cranky that I can't even muster the concentration to draft. The ride lasts far too long by the time the ranch driveway finally comes into view. There's still a couple miles of driveway to negotiate, then checkin for my swag bag, then muscling the bike down the steep hill and across the field to the car, then quick change out of sweaty biking clothes, and back across the field and up the hill to get our post-ride barbecue (which is very tasty, but spoiled by the complete lack of any caffeine to drink). According to my computer, my total distance is 65 miles and riding time 5:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment