July 18, 2009

Ride Report 7/18

41.61 miles in 3:50 (including all breaks, mishaps, refilling water bottles, etc) on the Bianchi

I am outfitted today in genuine biking clothing: jersey, shorts, socks (yes, they make biking socks), shoes (I'm told I'm starting to look like a real cyclist!). I practice clipping in/out of the pedals on my way to Sac State and am pleased to find they really do make a difference in pedaling. The new cleats are hard to stand on, so I pray for a curb at any red lights I have to go through. I meet T at the Guy West Bridge, and we have both forgotten that it is the day of the Eppie's Great Race, so the American River bike path is off limits. Instead, we bike to Davis and back (this is actually an easier ride than the planned one due to its complete lack of any hills). On our way out of Sac State, we have to stop to wait for cars to go through an intersection. I try to balance the bike, but come to a stop without unclipping and fall onto my right side. Yet another skinned knee and very minor road rash to my right elbow, and we're on our way. I reassure T that I haven't broken a bone yet, so it's not likely to happen on his watch.

Once we get past the stop and go of downtown Sacramento, we maintain a steady speed of not-quite 17mph to Davis. My heart rate stays lower than typical in the mid 140s. A pit stop at Peet's Coffee in Davis, window shopping at Davis Wheelworks (I like the classic style road bikes, T leans toward a Cervelo road bike, but it's a moot point because everything we are looking at costs a few thousand dollars) which is not quite open yet. We both stare in horror at what we can only hope is a bike that was put together because they could. It is a time trial bike with a camo frame, some sort of animal fur swatches under the seat and the handlebars, and antlers mounted on the handlebars.

The seat on the Bianchi is adjusted upward a small distance because the new cleats make me taller. My back is a little grumbly and I have to unclip my feet every few miles to get circulation back in my toes. T and I agree that my handling has improved a lot since last week and I now handle the Bianchi like a hungover monkey rather than like a drunken monkey. Thanks to a tip from T (watch the road far ahead of you), I am actually riding in a mostly straight line today. It is difficult not to just stare at my front wheel and zone out.

At about mile 28 I can feel myself flagging. I concentrate on the causeway, on my form, and maintaining a steady pedal speed. I get a second wind when we reach West Sacramento and manage to finish the ride with a little bit of energy left! T and I work out the next week's rides for me and I actually earn some praise tempered with the amount of improvement I still have to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment