February 17, 2010

Ride Report 2/16/10

23.3 mi in 1:48, Guy West Bridge-Discovery Park & back

Another gorgeous day, if slightly overcast. It's 76 according to El Dorado Savings. On the Guy West Bridge, a pedestrian gives me a thumbs up, then turns his hand sideways. I can't tell if he is assessing my mood, passing judgment, or hitch hiking. As I'm leaving the bridge, I get a "go blue!" (due to my blue jersey, shoes, bike & helmet) from a Rex Cycles rider as he passes me.

Since I'm not wearing my balaclava, I can listen to music in both ears once I'm on the bike path. (I use the ones that hook over the ear and allow for ambient sound to be heard.) I think this has something to do with my improved time, along with the nicer weather.

The sloughs out toward Northgate Blvd are drying up by several inches a day, and I miss seeing the blue heron that hung out at one of them. In consolation, today I get to see a greater egret. Between Northgate and Sac State, I see my first quail of the season. As always, they make me laugh as they run across the trail and into the ivy. And then the strangest sighting of the day: at Discovery Park I see the tatooed shirtless man (still shirtless and jogging today) who yodeled at us yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment